May 1, 1971: Bobby Willard and the Chargers

 


A portrait of a singer well on his way to becoming a pillar of the country music community. And, as you’ll see in the Footnote at the end, he not only did that once, but left town and came back to become a pillar all over again. 

May 1, 1971 

‘Hardest Business in the World’

But Bobby Willard Enjoys Playing 


        “You know,” my lady Laura says last Saturday night, “Bobby Willard’s different from those other country singers we’ve seen. He’s smoother.”

        Sure enough, instead of coming at you like a rough-and-ready barroom buddy, Bobby Willard radiates the easy hospitality of a bright young political hopeful. The president of the Jaycees instead of an all-night poker player.

A portrait of a singer well on his way to becoming a pillar of the country music community. And, as you’ll see in the Footnote at the end, he not only did that once, but left town and came back to become a pillar all over again. 

        His clean, almost boyish good looks are set off by a cheerful shock of sandy hair, a white shirt with gently flowing sleeves and an immaculate Gibson hollow-body electric guitar.

* * *

AND THE stage. Most stages are repositories of all sorts of musicians’ trash – broken drumsticks, old lists of songs, cups, cigarette butts and odd cellophane – mouldering in a layer of dusty neglect. But not this one.

        Bobby’s been working this stage at the Park Inn, a longtime country oasis overlooking Riverside Park, Fridays and Saturdays for 75 weeks now and it’s like a well-kept living room. You know that somebody cares about how it looks.

        “I’m a bug for appearance,” Bobby will tell you. “I wouldn’t even have a cord showing if I could help it. That’s my way of showing respect for the audience.”

* * *

BOBBY estimates his fans number between 600 and 800 and about a quarter of them are here tonight – it’s an older crowd Saturdays – in a panorama of souls from 1948 to 1971. They applaud each song.

        “Everybody who comes down to watch an entertainer perform is a potential entertainer himself,” Bobby says. “They can’t just go out and touch Marty Robbins or Sonny James or Merle Haggard, so they come to their local place.

        “The entertainer’s job is to satisfy this need for contact. You have to understand your audience, you have to know them and you have to like them.” He beats emphasis into each point with his hand on the table.

        “A successful entertainer is a good politician,” he adds. “He meets people and he makes friends. He’s got to respond to the people. If he doesn’t, he goes out of business.”

* * *

ON STAGE, Bobby’s in complete control – introducing personalities in the audience, giving a little talk about Merle Haggard before “Okie From Muskogee,” snapping the Chargers into their next song.

        Even though the band is in a transition period (drummer Sam Davis is in his fourth week), the sound is tight. Vocals and guitars are out front, punctuated by Sam’s energetic drumming and Bob Chavers’ easy-going bass slapping.

        “He’s the only guy in town who slaps an electric bass,” Bobby says.

        “That’s from the days when I played bass on my guitar and tuned all the strings down an octave,” Bob replies. “I had to slap them to keep them from buzzing.”

* * *

THIS IS lead guitarist Danny Jackson’s last night and he’s making it a good one. He turns a bluegrass picking thing into an echoey masterpiece. And when he sings “Snowbird” or his own “I’m What the Song’s All About,” his uneven voice is full of pleasant naturalness.

        Nothing uneven about Bobby Willard’s voice, however. Hear him do “It’s Only Make Believe” or Sonny James’ 1956 hit “Young Love.” That little cry in his voice, the perfect turning of each sound.

        “I figure most people like what I like,” he says. “Sometimes I like something that’ll make me jump and sometimes I like something that will make me cry. I usually know about six numbers ahead.”

* * *

THIS IS part of the public confidence he gained from Toastmasters International. When he started singing 3½ years ago, he was actually shy, a result, he says, of his childhood.

        Born in Alabama, he ran free on a farm and didn’t see his first electric light until he moved to Baltimore when he was 7.

        “I was never lied to, never taught to fight,” he says. “The kids used to steal my suspenders and then and then hit me while I tried to keep my pants up. Little by little, I started to think of myself more on the outside of things.

        “It made me super-sensitive. You start to think more about life when you’re on the outside. I guess it takes this to make an artist. The trick is not being bitter.” He thumps the table.

* * *

HE OPENED up a new channel late last year after an article on him appeared in the local arts magazine “Voice of the Alchemist.”

        “It seemed a shame we didn’t have something like that for country fans,” he says. “I felt we could get something going and boost country music.”

        Starting with nothing more than an idea, Bobby lined up ads and a printer, then rushed the freshly-minted magazine around to advertisers to collect money to pay for printing it.

        Now “Frontier Country,” sharing the “Alchemist” offices, takes only about 15 hours of Bobby’s time a week. Its fourth issue is just out, filled with features on national and local country artists and small-town newspaper-type items and local personalities and goings-on.

* * *

“THE FORMAT’S still being formed,” Bobby explains. “We’re not sure how to develop this, ourselves. I think we should let the public tell us how they want it.

        “The philosophy of the magazine is that America’s not a bad place and never was. It’s got problems, but I haven’t seen any country that could touch us. I’m kinda proud of being an American, I’ll admit it.

        “Where do I go from here? It’s hard to tell. Music is the hardest business in the world. There’s so many intangibles, so much you don’t have control over. Every day something comes up and slaps you. But I love it, there’s no end to the challenge.” 

The box/sidebar:

Got the Singing Bug

Pertinent and impertinent information about Bobby Willard & The Chargers:

        Bobby Willard, 35, vocals and rhythm guitar, born in Hamilton, Ala., Navy radarman, 11 years in Buffalo, technical assistant at Western Electric, married, two boys.

        Bob Chavers, 47, bass and “a little bit of hollering,” born in Gantt, Ala., World War II Army veteran, in Buffalo since 1947, works at Chevrolet forge, married, a son who plays bass with a Niagara Falls country band.

        Sam Davis, 34, drums, attended Buffalo Technical High School, Army veteran, works for a painting contractor, single.

* * *

“I NEVER pictured myself as an entertainer,” Bobby recalls. “I was in debt, working two full-time jobs and it was killing me. Then these friends invited me out to sing and I sang and I kinda got the bug.

        “Then I picked up guitar. For the first six months, I couldn’t play, but you learn real fast on stage. It MAKES you learn it.”

        From stand-in to five-night-a-week entertainer was a short hop of Bobby. To overcome his shyness, he joined Toastmasters International and soon became local president, then an area governor.

        “I learned to work with an audience,” he explains. “I learned to speak with confidence and most of all I learned to listen. Now I find I’m really a ham. I love it. I’m sorry I waited so long to find it out.”

* * *

BOB CHAVERS, a former rhythm guitarist with Emmit Jarvis and a country musician locally since 1950, replaced the original band’s female bass guitarist about three years ago.

        The other two players left only recently. Replacing them are guitarist Jimmy Gishlander, who begins this week, and Sam Davis, a former jazz drummer who started playing country with Ernie Weber and was with Billy Lee & The Bad Companions 3½ years.

        “I lost two great guys,” Bobby says. “They did a lot to get me started. I was sorta ignorant and they protected me, and back when I had no following, theirs kept us going.

        “But I’ve become very serious about this and they wanted to stay weekend musicians. You know, bowling on Tuesday nights and picnics on Sundays. I feel this is one of the things you gear yourself for, so they said: ‘Well, Bobby, what you want is someone a little more dedicated.’”

* * * * *

FOOTNOTE: Bobby Willard left us 19 years ago. My colleague Tom Prohaska wrote him up for The News: 

Robert S. Willard, 66, a counselor and country singer, died Friday (Dec. 21, 2001) in Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, after a brief illness.

Willard was born in Hamilton, Ala.

He entered the Navy in 1954 and served a four-year tour of duty.

He then was employed for 16 years as an engineering assistant at the Tonawanda plant of Western Electric Co.

Willard then moved to Elizabethtown, Ky., where he was a department manager at a Dodge dealership.

Returning to Western New York, Willard earned a psychology degree in 1984 and a master's degree in counseling in 1987 from Niagara University.

Willard was coordinator for the Consortium of Niagara Frontier Colleges at the Wyoming Correction Facility. He also taught and counseled students at Niagara County Community College.

Willard also was a professional singer, leading the country group Bobby Willard and the Southernaires for 27 years. The group's records included some songs written by Willard himself.

In 1974, he was named the Northeast's most promising male entertainer by the Eastern States Country Music Association.

He performed at Artpark, Kleinhans Music Hall, Fantasy Island and Melody Fair. He produced country music shows on WNED-TV and WUTV-TV, and was the host of a weekly talk show on WXRL-AM.

For many years, Willard published the Jubilee County Music Magazine and produced the Jubilee Variety Show on Grand Island and at the Native American Center for the Living Arts, Niagara Falls.

He enjoyed fishing, woodworking and gardening.

Survivors include his wife of 15 years, the former Judith Skurski; his mother, Jettie Mae Newlin of Newfane; two sons, Robert of Lewiston and David M. of Orchard Park; a sister, Sue Forstman of Bessemer, Ala.; and four grandchildren.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday in Hardison Funeral Home, 3648 Ransomville Road, Ransomville. Burial will be in Holy Trinity Cemetery, Lewiston.

* * *

POSTSCRIPT: Bobby put out a couple of singles with the Chargers. The one on Frontier Records – “Let It Go,” which he wrote, with “I Am Lonesome” on the flip side, is offered for $60 on the Internet. A second single, “Is It Over” and “You’re Not Mine,” was released on Mark Custom Records from the Mark Custom Recording Service in Clarence.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 6, 1974 Review: The first Summerfest concert at Rich Stadium -- Eric Clapton and The Band

Feb. 2, 1974: The Blue Ox Band

August 9, 1976 review: Elton John at Rich Stadium, with Boz Scaggs and John Miles