Sept. 7, 1974: Singer-songwriter John Brady

 


Many musicians come up through the Buffalo scene, then go and seek their fortunes elsewhere. Here’s one who did it right here at home. 

Sept. 7, 1974 

John Brady Communicates With Songs 

          You’d figure him for a craftsman. With that set of coveralls pulled over his broad frame, he looks like a carpenter or maybe a bricklayer, a guy who builds all day and washes it down with a couple beers.

          In some ways John Brady’s craft is tougher. It doesn’t always leave him with a sense of accomplishment that a fresh wall or cabinet does. And it doesn’t always give him the money for a couple beers.

          “I try to write somethin’ every day,” he says. “Last week I came up with three songs and all of ‘em I’m doin’. But the week before that – nothin’. I’ve probably got pieces of 600 songs stuck away upstairs.

* * *

“I REALLY get into lyrics, you know. I want to tell people things with music. I don’t think I’m breaking any ground as far as how to save the world and be happy, but all you can write about is your own life and the lives that touch you.

          “All communication that’s worthwhile has to come from that. I try to communicate it honestly – what I’ve felt.”

          He sprinkles his Wednesday and Sunday night sets in the upper rear level of the Central Park Grill, Main and Fairfield, with unannounced originals like “Used to Be the President Blues” and its chorus that’s at once personal and national, whimsical and tragic:

          “They don’t believe in me any more.

          There used to be millions,

          Now I’ve got only four.

          When they got me I got those

          Used to be the President blues.”

          Most of his songs are less public and more personal. “Growing Pains” is about growing up a second time with his son, Sean, who’s almost four.

          Elizabeth” is a girl whose “love for him is gone – but she’s still in love with love – and hates to think I know.”

          “Next Fish on the Line” centers on an argument – “Don’t say you didn’t mean it when you did – Don’t say you would’ve stayed when you went walkin’ out the door.” And the most-applauded of his tunes, “Fonder of You Blues,” revolves on the adroit turn of an old phrase:

          “If absence makes the heart grow fonder and blue,

          Then I don’t want to grow fonder of you.”

          “I can do 25 or 30 of my own songs when I want to,” he estimates.

          “The other night, there were about a dozen. People a lotta times are more willing to listen to a song that’s someone else’s, so I don’t tell them what they’re listening to. It’s become kinda like a game to me.”

* * *

HE SINGS them all in a voice outlined with gentle melancholy on one side and a throaty growl on the other. Call it a cross between B. W. Stevenson and Kenny Loggins and you’d come close.

          “I usta do a lot of Neil Young,” he says. “To the point that people told me I was soundin’ like Neil Young. They wanted more, but it’s not me. I really don’t know who I sound like any more. I think I sound mostly like me.”

          He picks a Neil Young song only occasionally now, though he does a bunch of material from Young’s mates, Crosby, Stills and Nash.

          The rest of his repertoire comes mostly from a tight circle of artists – Paul Simon, the Lovin’ Spoonful, Joni Mitchell and the Youngbloods.

          The Central Park Grill gig has been going for nearly a year.

          “Bars are usually hard for me to play,” he observes. “One of the nicest experiences I’ve had in the past year was for ninth graders at Kenmore West. I was still doin’ all the music I enjoy and they loved it.”

* * *

HE’S ALSO done the Beef ‘N Ale and local campuses, along with occasional dates line up by Dave Glian’s Entertainment Promotions and a couple commercial dates on the Showboat with fellow folksingers Jeff Goldstein and Jennifer Miller.

          “Jeff was workin’ with Dave Glian too and one day we sat in the office and jammed a bit,” he says. “But commercial’s not what I’m into and I don’t play as well when I’m not comfortable. Our best nights were in Jeff’s living room.”

          It was during the three years that John was a partner with another singer, Dave Hansen, in the folk duo Brasen, that he decided to pursue his music full-time rather than become an English teacher on his degree from Buffalo State.

* * *

“I KNEW THAT music was something I enjoyed more than anything else,” he says.

          “I started playin’ harmonica first. I used to do porter work around my father’s bar when I was 11 or 12 and this guy who usta come in taught me how to play. Not blues, but chromatic. Stuff like ‘Twelfth Street Rag.’ He usta be with a big harmonica band in Canada.

          “I started playin’ drums in high school. I was in a couple groups and started gettin’ into singin’. You can’t take your drums to the park and start messin’ around, so I got a cheap guitar. And I’ve still got a cheap guitar. My good one got ripped off.

          “My family background isn’t musical at all. Well, my sister played the piano. That was it. Sean, he can find a C note and play it. He’s getting into a little chord organ that I used play around with.”

* * * * *

IN THE PHOTO: John Brady with his guitar.

* * * * *

FOOTNOTE: John first showed up in this series in July 1970 as half of the duo Brasen. At that point, he was anticipating the birth of his son. Not long after this article appeared, he joined forces with another first-rate singer-songwriter, Phil Dillon, for an even more high-powered collaboration.

Dillon and Brady, as a duo and as a band that included Jay Beckenstein and Jeremy Wall, members of the future Spyro Gyra, became a leading attraction in clubs like the Bona Vista, the Central Park Grill and the original Tralfamadore Cafe. Before they broke up in 1977, they recorded an album with those Spyro Gyra guys and ace drummer Gary Mallaber.

Since then, John has been a stalwart in a succession of bands, the Black Cat Blues Band, Jelly Jar, Rabbit Jaw and the Marley Higgins Band, to name a few. He’s made albums, won Buffalo Music Awards and was inducted into the Buffalo Music Hall of Fame in 2003. He also kept playing for schoolkids. For eight years, he worked with the Arts in Education Institute of Western New York. And he’s kept writing. One of his songs, “Hooked on You,” got included in Albert Collins’ Grammy-nominated album “Cold Snap.”

If his name seems extra-familiar, it’s because he’s not the only musical John Brady in town. The other one is the drummer with the Steam Donkeys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 6, 1974 Review: The first Summerfest concert at Rich Stadium -- Eric Clapton and The Band

Feb. 2, 1974: The Blue Ox Band

August 9, 1976 review: Elton John at Rich Stadium, with Boz Scaggs and John Miles